Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Suvana Organic - Paw Paw & Honey Balm*

Today I wanted to share with you a recent product I have been using, courtesy of Lucy from Plunketts. I am sure many of you are familiar with the Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment but how familiar are you with pawpaw ointments from other brands? I'm not and I know some of these ointments contain petroleum jelly which may or may not be a deal breaker.

Petroleum jelly can be found in many cosmetics since it is used to 'seal in' moisture in products and your skin but it doesn't actually have any healing properties. Because of this property, bacteria from wounds or cuts could also be sealed in if you use products such as pawpaw ointment containing petroleum jelly. I'm not an expert so I won't elaborate any further but do note that petroleum jelly is a residue of crude oil which is not a renewable resource nor environmentally friendly.

So what makes Suvana Organic's Paw Paw & Honey Balm more special?


WHERE TO BUY: Available at pharmacies or Plunketts website for $7.95

INGREDIENTS:

The key ingredients here are paw paw, honey, cocoa butter, coconut oil and vitamin E and there are none of those ingredients deemed harmful. This is also a non-animal tested product.

PACKAGING: This comes in a bright yellow tube with 25g worth of product. It's very convenient to just pop in your bag if you're a lover of pawpaw ointment. If you're using this to apply on your lips, it's not hygienic as you do have to use your fingers but at least you don't have to dip your finger each time like you do with a tin/tub.

TEXTURE / SCENT: I haven't used this for anything besides moisturising my lips. Texture wise, I don't find it as oily as this other pawpaw ointment I've tried and it does not feel sticky either. I love that when I apply this, it sort of melts onto my lips and spreads so smoothly. However I'm not sure how oily or melted the product will be in warmer temperatures.

As for the scent, it's quite subtle and since I am probably the worst at describing scents... I would say a mixture of honey and vanilla. Also despite the presence of honey, unfortunately this product is tasteless :(


LONGEVITY: I find myself having to reapply very often, especially after a meal or something. At most it will last for about 3 hours on me since I'm always eating, drinking and in drier environments. However once it wears off, my lips do feel softer, smoother and a bit more nourished. I should note that sometimes I do find it a little drying on my lips afterwards so I opt for another lip product which I find is more hydrating for me, being the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments.

If you were to ask me if it is better than Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment, I won't be able to answer you because I have never tried it before. Overall I am very pleased with this product as a lip balm but you can also use it for other purposes such as soothing cracked nipples (hehe), protection from nappy rashes or any areas requiring more moisture.

Have you used this product before? What are your thoughts on cosmetics containing petroleum jelly?

On another note, I am so excited that it's almost the last week of uni! I can't wait til exams are over then live a sloth life for the next three months hehe. Have a beautiful week lovelies!

*Product was sent to me for review purposes however all opinions are my own and 100% honest and unbiased. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more information.

11 comments:

  1. Lucas' paw paw is definitely better than this! In price and in moisturising the lips.
    I feel this just kind of sits on top of your lips, rather than deeply moisturising it like Lucas' or something like Carmex/Blistex.
    I also find it builds up white gunk around your lips because it's applied so often and because, I think, it just sits on top lol
    The price was also a rip, being nearly $10 I'd rather buy a tinted lipbalm.
    Anyway that's just what I found! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Suvana! I refuse to use Lucas Paw Paw cause of the petrochemicals and the fact that there is basically no paw paw in it (I think it is something like 2%.. Dont quote me on that though ha)! AND! Suvana is so cheap (less than $8)- I picked up 3 on the weekend: one for my bag, my bedside table and desk!!

    I also love how it contains honey, which is soothing and healing, and has been particularly helpful with my seriously dry lips!


    Thanks for sharing hun!


    Lucy xx
    www.love-luc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plunkett Skincare24 October 2013 at 13:35

    Thanks so much for the great review! We are so glad you are a fan. It is a great all-rounder product, that does not contain any nasties!!

    The Plunketts Team xx

    www.plunketts.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily@lilynotlouse.blogspot.com24 October 2013 at 18:01

    I've seen this product at priceline but never tried it. i've been using vaseline but prefer something with more... scent and flavour I guess.. I'm keen to give this a go ^_^


    Enter My Dinner Giveaway ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reallyy?!?! I've never experienced that while I've been using it. I normally just use regular lip balm; more convenient and hygienic. I should try the Lucas paw paw sometime and check it out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i use to soley use vaseline for my lips during high school it was my lipbalm of choice. it just worked! then i moved onto some better products..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you must be devoted to this product! I do have to point out that Lucas' is cheaper than Suvana's. I haven't tried Lucas' before so I can't really comment how well it performs compared to this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, thank you for letting me try this product! I should try using this for other purposes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I prefer to just use regular lip balm, my favourite being the sugar lip treatments by Fresh, which sadly isn't available in Australia :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. Well vaseline / petroleum jelly does help in locking in moisture

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to Coles the other day and picked up another Organic paw paw lip balm (because it was pretty - this is my justification haha!) and I feel it's much better than the Suvana one! It's in a silver tube called 'Little bird' and it's tangerine! So lovely and only $5!!!!!!!! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day, beautiful!
Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out :)