Friday, 17 May 2013

Aliexpress.com

Being the stingy & cheap person I am, I love it when I come across websites selling products at dirt cheap prices. We all know that manufacturing a product would only cost a couple of dollars but the reason why companies tend to retail their products at a ridiculous price is due to research and development costs, marketing costs, etc...


When I came across Aliexpress.com I was astounded by the prices at which the products were sold at. I am certain the most popular website people most often visit for cheap deals is Ebay but sometimes Ebay doesn't cut it. While browsing Aliexpress, I found quite a number of products that are cheaper than those listed on Ebay even if it was by a measly dollar or two. There were some fishy products that really caught my attention though e.g. Clarisonic Mia 2 for $35? Or maybe the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette for $8?

I should point out that Aliexpress is owned by Alibaba and the majority, if not all, the suppliers are based in Hong Kong and China. We all know China is most famous for their counterfeit and replicas. Obviously you would not purchase beauty products before certifying they are genuine and safe; checking feedback and reputation is important! Anyways, here is my conversation with one of the suppliers of the Naked palette:

Click here for product link
Closely examining the pictures, it's hard to tell whether the product is fake or not. However there has been positive feedback though it may only be "excellent" or something. Would you purchase a Clarisonic dupe for about one-third of the retail price, though unsure about the quality?

Aside from beauty and make up products, I was really tempted to purchase wall decals (a world map decal being sold for $90 here but can be bought for $9 here) and some phone covers since I am always bored of using the same one.

Wall decal on my wardrobe!
There are a number of bad reviews around the web about Aliexpress / Alibaba being a scam and fraud but then there are also a number of people with good experiences with Aliexpress. Alibaba is also responsible for Taobao, which is a very legitimate website - also known as China's version of Ebay. I am so hesitant about whether or not I should make an order since I have great urges of wanting to buy something! What would you do if you were in my position?

Have you made any purchases from Aliexpress before? 
Would you make a purchase in the future?

21 comments:

  1. I stumbbled upon this site, too and I was unsure to buy or not. If I decide to buy I would probably only buy something cheap first in order to check...

    ReplyDelete
  2. personally, I would say stay away! Sites like this are known for not following through with orders and taking your money!!

    If you have time, could you please follow me back!

    I am hosting a giveaway on my blog and I think you would be intrested-
    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com/
    Win A Free Piece From Oasap on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting website! I probably won't be purchasing any make-up there but will definitely check out some of those wall decals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a little sketchy... would not buy the UD for healthy/safety reasons, but the decal is nice(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I don't think I'll purchase anything that can be applied on my body or for consumption from them, but anything else like decor, clothes, bags, etc.. I wouldn't mind (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clothes or shoes maybe but I´m not sure at all,
    The products are freaking inexpensive but that is because not a re good quality too.
    Nothing to makeup o skincare from them.
    Maybe clothes but I prefer others stores.
    xoxo


    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, thank you for sharing.
    LOL at the conversation with the supplier- they seem dodgy.
    However, as much as I love discounts, I don't think I would purchase from this site I don't think it's trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Likewise! I would probably order something cheap first as well to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Asian sites are always so dodgy :/ Yay for giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wall decals are so much cheaper than retailers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed, wouldn't even know how "good quality" they are despite reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed! They have some nice selections of clothes that I've been lusting over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't really know about the quality of the clothes and shoes. I think they would sort of be decent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know right?! They claim it's by UD but it's not genuine... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dosta Radnjanska25 May 2013 at 10:28

    My friend just ordered a dress from there and it was shipped and arrived properly. I'm just looking to buy some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been eyeing some lovely clothes on there lately but haven't taken the plunge since I'm so poor. Thanks for sharing though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't think I'd ever order any cosmetics from them but I have seen some accessories that I'd love to buy - only problem is that most of the sellers are whole sellers and only sell items in multiples of 10's or 20's. It's really hard to find some that will sell items in singles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's an option filter that allows you to search for sellers that sell 1pc instead of bulk. That makes it much easier to find :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh never even knew that feature existed haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day, beautiful!
Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out :)